What can I do about a mortgage if I’m relocated by the military, and therefore cannot afford my payments?

My husband and I bought our house when we were first married and now he has entered the USAF. When the time comes that we are relocated I will be unable to afford to make payments on my current home, as well a paying rent to live somewhere else. With the housing market the way it is it is difficult to sell, and many houses in my area are staying on the market in excess of 6 months. If I am able to finally sell my house, I am afraid I will not be able to obtain the full amount to pay off my loan after early payoff penalties and such.

What is there that I can do other than default on my loan if I’m relocated before I can sell or if I cannot sell it for enough to cover the full payoff amount? I don’t want to completely abandon my financial obligation, but I also am realistic and know that I cannot pay for a house that I’m not living in. I can only afford my payments now because it is my current dwelling.
I’ve read up on the Soldier’s and Sailor’s Civil Relief Act, but the kicker is that it only applies if being in the military causes you material loss. Considering that we are financially better off now, would this still count.

The only thing I could think of is that the miltary is causing us material loss because while his pay may be more, we were not having to pay for 2 homes before he entered.
Actually, credit expert, I did read those two websites and they only tell you part of the story. I’ve also read the actual law, and all provisions are assuming that military service has caused you to not be able to pay your rent, mortgage, credit card, etc. This is why most active duty members cannot take advantage of the law, becase normally active duty military members are more financially well off after joining the military.

Register New Account
Reset Password