Snake bite while staying at rental property?

Credit and mortgage advice Forums Home Insurance Snake bite while staying at rental property?

Viewing 0 reply threads

• Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

I rented a large cabin for a weekend getaway and was staying in the mountains. On our second night, I was going to get in the hot tub at night (which is located on a second story deck) and was bitten twice in the same hand by a copperhead snake that had been laying inconspicuously on top of the hot tub cover. For those of you who may not know, a copperhead is a type of venomous pit viper that delivers an extremely painful bite. Anyhow, it bit me two good times so I was rushed to the hospital in an ambulance to begin anti-venom therapy. All together I was in ICU for 5 nights and racked up lots of hospital bills. I do have an HMO through my employer that will cover the bulk of these bills, however, I also have a good bit of out-of-pocket expenses (co-pay, missed work, etc) that I could use some help with.

My question is whether or not the cabin owners have any type of homeowners or other insurance policy that would help to cover some of my expenses.

Just to be clear, I am NOT trying to sue them or blame them or find them negligent. I am NOT talking about litigation. I am simply asking if they likely already have a policy in place that is intended to provide financial support to someone in my situation? If so, what is the best way to approach the owner regarding assistance??

I plan to contact them shortly and would just like to know what to expect or what to say before approaching them so that I can do it in the most tactful manner possible. Thanks!
      I am not at all looking to “prove negligence” because AS I MENTION ABOVE I fully understand that I was in the mountains where snakes are a clear and present danger.

Also, do a Google image search because copperheads are not that large and come in all sorts of colors, this particular snake blended perfectly with a dark brown hot tub cover at night time.

Maybe I am off, but here was my take…
      Renter’s have homeowner’s insurance so that when ACCIDENTS occur on their property they are able to pay for it.
      This was clearly an ACCIDENT and I was on-premise so why wouldn’t they help cover the costs? It isn’t like I was barrel rolling through the woods naked.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Register New Account
Reset Password