is making your own bio diesel from home more expensive than buying diesel from the petrol station?

Credit and mortgage advice Forums Buying Your Home Buying Your Home is making your own bio diesel from home more expensive than buying diesel from the petrol station?

• This topic has 0 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 9 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 0 reply threads

• Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

I was looking into the ingrediants i would need to make my own diesel because of rising forecourt prices and damage we are causing to the environment and after doing some initial research i was encouraged by quotes of “make your own bio diesel, 7p a litre!” Having now looked into it a little further I find that, demand for the methanol you need has gone up making it quite expensive to buy and also chip shop owners are trying to sell their used cooking oil for about 50p a litre because they know what it can be used for. Also i’m not sure where to buy sodium hydroxide but one drop of that on your skin or in your eye and your in serious trouble. Oh yeah and by the way, you’ve bought your oil, meth and lye but you still need to buy a processor or have a go at making one of your own! surely this is just more time and effort than it’s worth for a home brewer trying to make his own?
      just 2500? i’ll think i’ll buy 2 seeing as their so cheap!
      just found out that the lye (sodium hydroxide) works out at about 2p a gram, 5-10 grams of it are needed per 1 litre of bio diesel made meaning an additional cost of 10-20p per litre
      so here are my figure’s-(the best prices i could find on the ingrediants to make bio diesel)
      40p per litre for used cooking oil
      and that then needs mixing with 200ml of methanol 38p and then 10p for the sodium hydroxide.

Total cost before processed 88p per litre. LOL

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Register New Account
Reset Password