Credit Card – Account Closure vs Longest History Dilemma

Credit and mortgage advice Forums Consumer Credit Credit Cards Credit Card – Account Closure vs Longest History Dilemma

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Anonymous 7 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

Anonymous

My Citicard has been my longest history card – since Nov 2000. The next oldest is February 2004.

However, back in 2009 – I received a change of terms from Citi (which would have raised my rate from 6.24 to significantly higher). So, I rejected those terms.

Henceforth, my A/C is poised to close in 2 months – Dec 2011. And, my attempts to find any way to keep this account have been unsuccessful at all.

But, now I am concerned about the fact – since it is oldest account on my report – it will fall off in due time with detrimental consequences on my credit history length.

Since, this also*is the only card with balance – can I keep the balance (5k)*on the card (even after it is closed) – and just*keep making minimum payments, so that it can stay on report for 15+ years. Is this viable strategy?

Your guidance/advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register New Account
Reset Password