Buying a car in NJ from a Private seller but want Georgia Insurance?

Deal Score0

I have a Georgia License and am currently away at College in New Jersey (My family has a house here and in Georgia). I want to buy my first car, but insurance in NJ is extremely expensive.

How do I get Georgia insurance, Registration, and my Georgia address to show on the vehicle Title?
When I purchase the car from the private seller, how will I be able to get my car home with no plates?? Is there a way to get temporary plates in New Jersey and Temporary Registration? Will I need to get a New Jersey License? HELP !!!

Can someone give me a step by step walkthrough of what I have to do to get the Georgia Insurance? Thank you !

  1. Reply
    October 25, 2011 at 2:16 am

    Call the DMV in your hometown in Georgia. As long as you have a permanent residence (your parents house) in GA you can register and insure the car there. The DMV will tell you how to handle the license plate issue. Contact your insurance company and let them know that you’ll be purchasing a new car. They will ask for some information like make, model, year, VIN, etc. Once you’ve got your new insurance card for the vehicle and have figured out what the GA DMV wants, then find a place in NJ that will do a Title Transfer. Meet the seller at the Title Transfer place, buy the car, make sure you get the Title and a bill of sale and that should be it.

    You may be issued a temp. Jersey tag, but you certainly don’t need a Jersey license.

    The actual steps may be different based on what the DMV tells you, but it should be pretty similar and not too much hassle.

  2. Reply
    October 25, 2011 at 2:26 am

    Poster Adam B is wrong !
    Since you are a full time college student attending school out of state you have a unique advantage. You are legally permitted to use your Georgia address for your car title, license, plates and often even insurance. If Georgia state law allows it, many insurance companies will rate you as if you lived in Georgia and not NJ. call around to find such a company. I know that American family is licensed in Georgia and I know that they allow it.

  3. Reply
    October 25, 2011 at 2:34 am – try this one. I have their car insurance and, as I know, they can provide such a service.

    Leave a reply

    Register New Account
    Reset Password