I recently paid off the loan on my house. So should I now receive the title document to my house? If so then who should I approach about getting this document sent to me? I was looking for something that proved that I owned the home outright.

Article Score0

4 Thoughts on How do I obtain the title document to my house?
  1. Reply
    July 27, 2013 at 7:04 am

    Normally, the company who carried your note will send it to your Recorder’s office and then a recorded copy is mailed to you… (a week or two) Call your loan company and ask when your deed was recorded (book and page) and if you don’t want to wait for the mail, go to the Recorder’s Office and buy a copy.

  2. Reply
    July 27, 2013 at 7:04 am

    You should already have a copy of the deed from when you purchased your home. So all you should need is a copy of the release of lein from the lender which someone (them or you) should record with the county. Even if you cannot find your deed, as long as your warranty deed was recorded at the county (and release of any leins), you own it.

    If your house has (or had) wheels (mobile home not on permanent foundation), then you should get a copy of the title signed off by the leinholder.

  3. Reply
    July 27, 2013 at 7:50 am

    Contact your county courthouse.

  4. Reply
    July 27, 2013 at 8:34 am

    Depending on whether your loan was secured by a trust deed or a mortgage, when the loan was paid off the lender should have recorded either a “deed of re-conveyance” or a “release of mortgage.” This is the document that establishes that they no longer have a lien on the house.

    After that document was recorded it should have been sent to you. Sometimes this all takes a couple of weeks. If you have not received anything, contact your lender. Sometimes they are sloppy or slow about it and need a nudge.

    Your title document is the deed you received from the seller when you bought the house. It should have been recorded with the county recorder at the time of the purchase, and almost certainly was recorded if you bought the house in the normal fashion with a loan and a closing at an escrow office. But even if you can’t find that original deed, it is not that big a deal if the original was recorded. Just get a certified copy from the County recorder, so you will have peace of mind.

    The system for keeping track of title to real estate is not the same as title the title system for autos. For autos you need to have physical possession of the title document (the so called “pink slip”). For real estate, what really counts is the recording of the deed at the county recorder’s office, along with the recording of any documents that create liens, like mortgages, trust deeds, or construction liens.

    If you want to prove to someone else (or yourself) that your documentation is all in order and that you own the property outright with no liens; theoretically that can be done by examining the records at the county recorder’s office. As a practical matter that is difficult for an untrained person to do. So if you have doubts about whether the paper work was properly done, or for some reason you have some uncertainty about the situation; you should talk to a title insurance company. They can provide a title search for a fee. The least expensive way to do this might be to talk with the same company that issued the title insurance when you bought the property.

    Leave a reply

    Register New Account
    Reset Password